What is Perineorrhaphy?
Perineorrhaphy is the surgical repair of perineal lacerations and of vaginal opening looseness. It is a reconstruction of the muscles and tissues at the opening of the vagina. The procedure is very good at decreasing the size of the vaginal opening and does not reduce sensation.
Effects of Perineorrhaphy
This is a procedure repairing the opening of the vagina which may be done under conditions where the woman complains of urinary incontinence, vaginal dryness, and unpleasurable intercourse or sexual dysfunction due to looseness of the perineum (stretching of the vaginal opening). Perineorrhaphy allows for the tightening of the vaginal opening and its surrounding structures.
Candidates for Perineorrhaphy
Perineorrhaphy is a surgical procedure done to address perineal body relaxation manifesting in women having wide and relaxed vaginal openings which may lead to weakness of the pelvic support structures or prolapse. Perineal lacerations and looseness may be experienced by women who:
- Have had multiple child births
- Experienced injury and strain during childbirth (long difficult labors in the pushing stage)
- Gave birth to large babies
- Have had inadequately or incompletely healed episiotomies performed at the time of childbirth
- Are in their advanced age
- Have hormonal insufficiencies
- Are obese
- Are engaged in strenuous physical activity